Earlier this year we heard about a scam where small business owners were being told that they had to pay their ENMAX bill immediately or their power would be cut off.
Instead of simply continuing to pretend to be calling from ENMAX, now the scam artists have upped the ante and have recorded the voice from our automated telephone answering system to trick people into thinking they’re speaking with a member of our team.
If you receive one of these calls you may be asked to call 1-855-462-8978, although many different 800-number variations could be used.
A quick Google search of 1-855-462-8978 resulted in reports of it being used in similar scams.
- Once again please feel free to share the following with your family and friends:
- ENMAX does not use a 1-855 number, our customer care number is 310-2010.
- Power cannot be cutoff without fair warning.
- PayPal or gift cards are not accepted forms of payment.
- You can check the status of your ENMAX account by calling 310-2010 or by signing in to your online account.
- Visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre’s website for more information on this and other scams.
If you receive a suspicious phone call
- Do not give out any personal information including account numbers or addresses.
- Report the phone call to ENMAX at 310-2010
- Report the phone call to the Alberta Utilities Advocate by email or call them in Alberta at 310- 4-UCA (310-4822).
You can read more about this situation here.