We’ve spent the last several months shoring up some of our facilities and equipment in case another flood happens.
You can take similar, but much simpler steps to protect yourself, your family and the electrical system on your property.
1) Collect valuables, mementos, photo albums and records into boxes so that they can be quickly moved from your basement to upper floors.
2) Be prepared to move any electronics (TV, stereo, etc) to upper floors.
3) Prevent sewage and storm water from backing up into your home by installing backflow devices on drains and sump pumps.
4) If water starts entering your home for any reason, do not try to shut off electricity. Leave your home and call 911.
5) Create an emergency kit that’s able to provide for you and your family for 72 hours.
The list above is only a brief overview of some of the things you can do in the event of a flood, and the best thing you can do is to be prepared for any emergency.