At 5 a.m. power began flowing through the repaired cables and connections beneath Calgary’s downtown streets.
While this means that people affected by the fire and resulting outage can return to their homes, and businesses can reopen their doors, our crews will still be on the job to complete the work.
In addition, after a rebuild as extensive as this one, there may be a few power bumps along the way.
The outage by the numbers
- 3.5 kilometers of cable replaced
- 130 high-voltage cables spliced
- 5,000 customers in 112 buildings in a 20-block radius affected
- 10,000 employees from 2,100 businesses required to work at alternate locations
- 881 mentions of @ENMAX on Twitter
- 1 comment referencing Billy Joel
- Countless messages of support for the ENMAX team
The real power
Once again we’re honoured by the strength shown by all Calgarians. Thank you for your support and patience.